Pageviews past week

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Abracadabra!!

I politely tried to get out of doing exercise at the gym today, not because I didn't want to, but because I had... what shall we call it... my monthly visitor. Or mother nature's gift. Or that time of the month, or just my plain old period. And because Korea is so conservative, I tried to be subtle when explaining this to my trainer. At first I just tried to ask for a different exercise. But that didn't work b/c he thought I was weak or having a lazy day (which was not the case!). So I tried to clarify by saying "every month women..."

"Oh," he said quietly.  "In Korea we call that magic day."

I just started laughing. "Magic day? Well, I don't feel very magical." Although it would be cool if on that day (or more accurately, days) I got like Harry-Potter-magical.  Now that would be magical! I could do all kinds of exercises then.

And just in case my trainer was just using stupid guy lingo,  I verified with a female Korean colleague. She told me, yes, a women's period is called Magic Day in Korea. When I asked why she said, "well, maybe it's because on that day women go from being cranky to being their most beautiful. Their skin is amazing."  I think her day must have more of that Harry-Potter-magic than my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment